Monday, August 29, 2005

The First Day Back...

...Involved a lot of sitting. The most exciting (read: terrifying) thing I learned was that at my new school there is a new teacher with a new student with a new IEP due next week. For those not immersed in the world of SpEd, consider this context: with kids we know, a month is usually a good amount of prep time for an IEP. Kids don't even get back to their pre-summer status for about 6 weeks. Some people have a gift for hitting the ground running. My penchant seems to be hitting the ground flailing.

(Actually, that's just a dramatic bit of whining. I can't complain. The OT who worked with this kid last year offered to help/take care of it. This is great, because she wants to add a new evaluation to the list. Mmm! It's GOOD to be back!)

When I went grocery shopping, the subject of the-first-day-back came up with the checker. The conversation went like this:
Him: Did you have a good day?
Me: Yes. I work for the schools and it was my first day back.
Him: You look like you had a good day.
Me: It's great to see people again.
Him: I bet.
Me: The kids start Thursday.
Him: (looks at me and laughs)
Him: (shakes his head and keeps laughing at me)

I wasn't trying to be funny. Many of you are probably thinking, 'Don't worry. You weren't'. Nonetheless, this story illustrates nicely the perfect freedom that perfect strangers feel to laugh at me. That's a good thing, right?

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Bethany said...

That's alright Jenny. I had an exchange in the St. Andrews post office that went like this:
Me: I would like to send this package to the U.S. and buy one stamp
Scary Man Behind Glass Enclosed Counter: [Mumble, mumble, chuckle, chuckle, head shake, head shake] ONE STAMP?
Me: Yes, one stamp to sent this letter to the U.S.
Him: One stamp? [laugh, laugh, shake head] Oldest trick in the book.
Me: Oh, alright. I'll take five.
Him: [laugh, laugh, laugh, mumble, shake head]

I'm still baffled by the encounter. It keeps me up at night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home