Friday, April 27, 2007

A Good Day--Background

Today was a Good Day.

Really, it was a day that started about 2 weeks ago. It all began with a smile. It lit up the room, a jack-o-lantern response to my cajoling for a piece of english muffin pizza. I never got any pizza, but Mark did get me thinking.

You see, Mark has a disability that greatly inhibited his growth. His entire day is spent in a wheelchair. Due to his small stature, he cannot reach most things in his environment. He depends on support systems that are sometimes sadly lacking. He has the most beautiful smile, but his teeth are rotting. And half are missing. I don't think he ever brushes his teeth.

Oh, but the OT in me began getting very excited! Why, "self-care" is right in the job description. What a lucky lady I am. We are always seeing things we wish were different, but how often is it right in our job description to get involved?

But wait, it gets better. Mark is in a class that works on basic cooking. A simple equation formed in my head: cooking-->eating-->toothbrushing. Everybody learns, everybody saves face, no awkward conversations a la "your fly's unzipped" or "would you like a breath mint?" Why, it's a themed unit! My favorite!

The teacher, speech therapist and I all began plotting. A dental visit involving drills, drool and needles was redeemed by donated toothbrushes, paste and floss. Letters were sent to grocery stores for supplies. Administration coughed up the petty cash (or will, theoretically, once receipts are turned in). Posters were made. Boardmaker was used.

We were ready to go.
And today was the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home