Thursday, September 15, 2005

Oh, The Things You Can Fry

Yes, it is truly amazing the sheer number of fryable things out there. Indeed, I plan in the near future to compose a short ode dedicated to this theme. My muse will be the Puyallup Fair*. My afternoon trip there will be my research.

The Puyallup Fair is Western Washington's largest fair. It has all the things a fair should--4H cats languishing (or at least hiding in litter boxes) in diorama displays, chickens with inexplicable feather growths, people pretending to be cowboys (you know, the ones who call into country stations from Bellevue with a deep southern twang that's as real as their September tans), Royal Canadian Mounted Police prancing about on Canadian horses to peppy Canadian music, rabbits contemplating heart attacks because they don't even have a litterbox to hide in, tremendous pumpkins, arbitrarily judged floral displays, enough moving, blinking, "musical" rides to send me into a blithering state of sensory overload and, above all, fried foods.

Now, I'm not talking about just any fried foods--though, of course, those were there too. I'm talking about "see-it-to-believe-it" fried foods. My co-worker, her husband and I were on a mission. We searched, we asked, we scoured. Following rumors, hearsay and the smell of hot canola, we eventually found ourselves winding around the outskirts of the fairgrounds. There, in the twilight, we saw it, glowing like a shrine to all that is excessive and glutinous in America. Now, maybe it was wrong to support such a thing. I'll let you judge. Nevertheless, as we slowly walked home, exchanging fried twinkies, snickers and oreos**, a little bit of that Fair Glow followed us, and I could feel the end consonants dropping off words like years off my life.

Y'all come back now, y'hear, and don' be keepin' all those twinkies fer yerself...

*I will personally award a candybar to the non-Washingtonian who can phonetically describe the pronunciation of "Puyallup". Frying is optional, cheating is not.

**Not as amazing as fried pickles, granted, but still pretty stellar. Shout out to Bef for alerting me to this new pickle phenomenon. Gross, but I'd probably try it.

4 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Caleb said...

Jenny, that previous comment is OOC. "average guys like you and me" woooo. Anyway I just read an article about the Texas State Fair and one of the new fried things on a stick this year is spaghetti and meatballs. Apparently they take spaghetti, sauce, and some meatballs. Form the whole thing into a ball, batter it, and fry it. Just thought I would give you the heads up.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hungry.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

In Scotland you can also get deep fat fried pizzas and hamburgers. T, B, and I settled on a fried Mars bar (the guy behind the fry bar laughed at us for only ordering 1 and sharing it).
As for all you health nuts out there that are chagrined at the thought, don't knock it 'til you try it. It's worth the five years it takes off your life.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Following you will find excerpts from the comment left to me by some caring person who is concerned, apparently, about my lovelife, but not so much about my gender. Isn't it nice to know somebody cares?

"I have a blog too. It gives useful information on everything to do with finding your dream woman and how to talk to women. It’s for Average Guys like you and me to help us find our dream women. Did you know that most women don’t care what you look like, they’re more concerned with your feelings and how you treat them. You’re sure to find some great hints and tips THAT ARE REALLY USEFUL to help you find your dream woman."

(Sorry, fellows, I deleted all of the link info. You'll have to ask me directly for all of those "great hints and tips".)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home